Miyerkules, Oktubre 8, 2014

Pho vs. Faux


 During my recent trip to Vietnam, I was able to experience slurping a Pho. But even before I was already excited to taste a real vietnam noodle along with my basic tourist knowledge about it.
Pho means noodle
Ga chicken
Bo beef
But its a shame I never got curious about the correct pronunciation of the word Pho. Countless times I've eaten it not knowing I am making a culturally insensitive act of pronouncing it as 'FOE'. So I thought its not yet too late, I should thus exert an effort now of spreading that the word Pho is pronounced as 'FUH". 


The noodle comes with salad of herbs and vegetables piled in a separate plate and the others floating atop the broth, noodles and cuts of meat. 
 Made with pristine white rice flour noodles that are made daily and sold in markets.  A good pho broth is crystal clear, like a French consommé. The broth alone has a magical taste which I've never tasted anywhere else. I loved the mint leaves and the green lime. The play between the greens and the sweet-and-sour broth, with noodles playing their key role, is a total magic.

In pho, cinnamon and star anise lead the charge, with assists from cloves and cardamom. 

In Vietnam they will charge you extra for using wet tissue.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento